Any information relating to a patient's physical or mental health, the details of one's care, or the payment for that health care. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) defines all of the following as individually identifiable health information:
- Names and addresses
- Identifying Dates – date of birth, date of admission, date of examination.
- Specific age if over 89 years old.
- Telephone and fax numbers, Social Security numbers, medical record or account numbers, employee numbers, health plan numbers, email addresses, vehicle identifiers, license numbers.
- Full face images or biometric identifiers such as finger and/or voice prints.
- Any unique identification numbers, codes or characteristics that may be traced back to